Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Writing the Personal Essay


I struggled with deciding a topic for this piece. Originally, I liked the idea of writing about an insignificant item in a significant way. But I couldn’t think of anything that really separated itself. Finally, I settled on this topic even though it was a bit more personal than I was planning for. When I did finally start writing, I focused little on my structure and just allowed myself to write. The words came easily as I formed the basic storyline for my piece. The writing may have been raw, but I was happy to find some sort of idea and structure geared toward my final piece. The most difficult part of the piece was the conclusion. Every time I wrote it, it came out like a summation or reflection on life. I struggled to find a way to flawlessly end the piece and not leave a huge cliffhanger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment