Tuesday, April 16, 2013

LeBlanc and Orlean


The “Trina and Trina” piece was wonderful. LeBlanc’s control of language was impressive as she weaved the tales of Trina together. I found her descriptions to be particularly good as well. She had a good median between noting details and combining her own personal insights into Trina. The piece really drew me in and I was rooting for Trina as I flipped every page. The story itself was heartbreaking and I could only imagine the troubles LeBlanc must have went through while writing it. Meeting Trina and becoming involved with her daily actions, it is only natural for a connection to occur. I feel like the struggles between caring about Trina and helping her, while also writing the story must have been quite difficult. 

“The American Man at Age Ten,” was welcome after Trina’s tale. The lighthearted insight of the ten-year old was very amusing and I could make a connection to it having been a ten-year-old boy before. The details she provided were wonderful, though my favorite piece of the story was the dialogue. Hearing Colin’s thoughts and his interactions with both the author and Japeth did the best to paint a picture of the ten-year-old boy. And of course, I loved the Street Fighter section. I still play the game today...


1 comment:

  1. Ha! Nice succint summary. Glad you found a nice balance between the two.

    Think about not just how you felt for LeBlanc but what she did in terms of craft to make you feel that way. . . . evoking emotional reaction is what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete