Saturday, May 18, 2013

Week 7 Response


Walt Harrington’s “How I Get to the Point” stood out to me from the reading as it addressed the topic of outline further. Since constructing our dynamic outlines I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about the process. I favored the dynamic outline to the traditional outline, but even so, I’ve been resisting the idea some. I find it to be very helpful in helping to maintain focus, especially later in a piece, but it still feels somewhat mechanical to me. An idea from Harrington struck me though, 

“After writing the first three hundred or so words of an eight-thousand-word piece, I stopped writing, and at that late stage, with the project clearly centered, I finally jotted down an outline of the entire piece.” 

This is interesting because at this point, your piece would already have a sort of foundation. You are grounded somewhere. Having centered yourself and begun to tackle the piece, you can become filled with ideas. For me, as I write, more things come to mind or I realize something isn’t working, so I change it; however, from the beginning I am preparing my plan for the piece within my head. An early post-beginning outline could be very beneficial to me in helping to keep my thoughts organized as I go. I think that this is something I may try to do in the future. The benefits of an outline are clear to me, but finding the exact right process for it is something I still need to achieve.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely can relate to what you are feeling, Danny. I am someone who just has to get into the mood to write and then I just let it pour all out without a plan. I usually don't have to revise that much, but that's not to say that my pieces wouldn't be a lot better if I DID use an outline.

    To be totally (embarrassingly) honest, I totally forgot about outlines all together when I wrote my profile! I have been having trouble finding the right focus with the piece and the dynamic outline definitely could have helped me and saved me a lot of stress and hassle...in fact, I think that I will go make one right now! It's definitely hard to "unlearn" our aversions to outlines, even though this version is much more helpful.

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete